12 January 2009

Cold weather makes for good pictures


I feel a bit awkward about this picture. It was really a "turn and shoot," with my pocket cam. I cropped it and leveled it. But I like it, a lot. After a lot of long, grey cold days, crisp air makes everything look good. As does enjoying it with a girlfriend who is tugging your arm to move on because, "It's cold!" 

The snowy expanse to the left is where the Palast der Republik, a key cultural and political center for the east, before reunification, once stood. It was an ugly, iconic, monolithic building that they began demolishing when I first arrived. Because it was filled with toxic materials (asbestos, etc.), they had to dismantle it piece by piece. The final elements were only recently removed, making this picture more meaningful, as this view hasn't existed for years. (The Palast was built on the site of the king's castle, a facsimile of which will now be built on the empty site.) More, and more accurate, info here: Palast der Republik

1 comment:

Chevrolet Suburban Turbocharger said...

Wow its a very good post. The information provided by you is really very good and helpful for me. Keep sharing good information..