25 July 2008

The Next US President



I didn't go.

Having now watched multiple videos and checked out the press coverage, I don't regret my decision. I'm not a fan of big crowds in confined spaces. And this one was BIG. I decided I didn't need the headaches just to confirm what I already know: he's one charismatic man.

But I was very happy watching it after the fact. The man is an incredible speaker.

And, my god. The photo ops!

I may follow up with some thoughts about why his presence here was greeted so enthusiastically, but for now, the short version is: "not Bush." I say presence, by the way, because I was a little disappointed by the content. 80% of his speech could have been given by any candidate. However, one part made me sit up and take notice:

"I know my country has not perfected itself. At times, we've struggled to keep the promise of liberty and equality for all of our people. We've made our share of mistakes, and there are times when our actions around the world have not lived up to our best intentions."

I will never forget a German friend explaining to me that there was a time when the European image of Americans was a positive one. We rode in on tanks after the fall of Berlin, and we turned out to be decent people. The world saw us as the good guys. And then we lost it.

My stomach sank, because I know he's right. It takes decades to build that kind of reputation and just a few to lose it. Restoring it will require humility, and Obama is the first major politician who has the balls to admit we've gone off track. He won my heart with those lines alone. The first step is admitting you have a problem.

But for now, I want to publicly continue an email conversation I've been having with an old friend. One of the reasons I am here (i.e., Berlin) and not there (i.e., somewhere in the US), is this kind of asinine journalism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZEZonhH9h8&feature=related

"Totally gaffe-tastic" says the Barbie who somehow gets into a million homes. How about totally irresponsible reporting?

I agree that a war monument of any sort might not have been the best choice. There are beautiful settings in and around Berlin that would have been large enough for the crowd and conveyed a more neutral iconography. However, the Siegesaule is not a Hitler monument. Full stop. The fact that three "journalists" wet their pants in excitement while implying that it is (all the while carefully couching their language by using words like "linked to") makes it that much more repellent.

That after getting the facts completely wrong, they moved to a comparison of photoshopped T-shirts just...well, I'm not going to share more of my feelings on an open blog. I know journalism isn't necessarily better here, or anywhere, but it terrifies me that a large portion of Americans are getting their facts from Fox.

All I can say is that I if Obama can carry over 20% of his conviction about the importance of forming a world citizenship when he becomes president, I will be happy that I voted for him. (There's actually some math in my mind that led to 20%. It starts with the percent of Americans who believe that the US is the only country that matters and that our supremacy must be maintained at all costs, acknowledges the reality of the voting populace, and works down from there. Sadly.)

I promise my next post will either be funny or include pretty pictures. :)

A.

P.S.: For a take on the local reaction, check here: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,567926,00.html

No comments: