25 June 2008

Second Spreewald Follow-up


After all that, I felt you deserved some closure.

The full set, as always, is available here: http://community.webshots.com/album/563900637HEoZXH

I had been to the Spreewald once before, but couldn't bring myself to ride the boats alone. Not out of fear, mind you, but embarrassment. Fortunately, Monica was there this time and we could laugh off the fact that we were about 50% below the average age of the others, and just enjoy a unique setting. For those considering going (and I do recommend it), I suggest either a longer boat ride (the two hour one we took is focused on the tourist traps near the harbor, while the longer ones appear to penetrate deeper into the non-touristy spots) or, better, renting a kayak or canoe and exploring on your own. The water is knee-deep at best, so while you might get lost, you won't drown. I'll bow to Wikipedia both in the interests of accuracy and time for more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreewald.

In more news, my friend and ex-colleague Michael turned 50 recently, and celebrated it with amazing style. Pictures and details to follow. For now, let's just say that anyone who hires a full-blown German beer wagon, plays guitar to a packed crowd, and flies his brother in from the States to sing lead vocals in a truly good cover set, deserves a big Happy Birthday.

In even more (and the best) news, Nicole is back from holiday, and if she lets me, I hope to post some of her Greece pics here in the near future :) Seems she spent the whole time doing exactly what one is supposed to do on vacation. It's nice to have her back, to say the least.

Cheers,

A.

No comments: