20 June 2008

Google has its strengths, but...

I'm due for a longer update, I realize. It's summer, and I have pics from BBQs, nights out, long walks, the European UEFA championship (which seems to excite folks here even more than the World Cup did), and more.

But for now, I just had to share this translation I found on a website touting the virtues of the Spreewald, a densely forested area 100 km south of Berlin criss-crossed with canals, and an important wildlife reserve. Tourism is the main trade there these days, but the PR element is still maturing:

"The boat tour with canoe by the Spreewald is one of the most popular ways to discover this unique landscape. The waterways are marked very well. Numerous animal and species of plant wait to be discovered by you. Dragon-flies will accompany your paddle tour and canoe tour. High trees and rare counterfeit bills line the channels and make seem fantastic to the landscape of the Spreewald. Perhaps you are lucky and will see an otter, heron or even the rare kingfisher."

It was all going so well until the "counterfeit bills" part.

If anybody has an idea of what the German word(s) that got mangled might be, let me know. I assume it's "fake..." something, but really can't reverse engineer it!

No comments: